The Maytag M800 is pretty similar to the Maytag M400. But if that is the case, why not settle for the cheaper M400 model, right? Well, there is an additional feature in the M800 unit which may make the extra cost worthwhile for some. After all, the difference is not much and some people would not mind paying for the convenience. So, let’s check out what is this additional feature in the Maytag M800 review below. Who knows, you might be willing to pay the extra too.
Maytag M800 Review – The Features
The features of the Maytag M800 are:
- 1500 watts
- Stainless steel soleplate
- Removable water tank
- Steam burst
- Vertical steaming
- Variable steaming
- Spray mist
- Auto shut-off
- Size: 11.5″ (L) x 4.8″ (W) x 5.8″ (H)
==> Check Price
If you are going to compare the features of the Maytag M800 vs M400, you will see that they are more or less the same except for the removable water tank. The removable tank is only available for the M800 and M1200 models. With this feature, you don’t have to prepare a bottle of water for refilling or bring the whole iron to the sink. You can just detach the tank and refill it under the faucet with your iron still plugged in.
Like the M400, the Maytag M800 also has a stainless steel soleplate. However, there are more steam holes with the M800 compared to the M400. At 1500 watts of power, it also has anti-calcification and anti-scale features with a self-cleaning button.
You can use the iron as a vertical steamer as there is a steam burst and variable steam function. There is also a spray mist to wet wrinkled spots. You select the type of fabric that you want to iron with the fabric selector dial under the soft touch handle. The iron has a 8-foot cord and weighs about 3 lbs.
Maytag M800 vs M1200
The Maytag M1200 is really a step up from the M800 because the soleplate is different. The M1200 uses a ceramic coated soleplate which is smoother. So, ironing will be made easier because you can glide it more effortlessly across the garments.
The other major difference between the Maytag M800 vs 1200 is the controls interface. The M800 still uses a manual one with a dial for you to turn to choose the appropriate fabric type. But the M1200 is an upgrade to an electronic interface whereby you just need to push a button to get to the desired heat setting.
Given the 2 major differences, the price variance is also quite big between these 2 models. At the time of this Maytag M800 review, the price of the M1200 is almost double the former.
Should You Buy The Maytag M800?
- Removable tank – There are not many irons in the market with this convenient feature. The Panasonic 360 Freestyle Iron has it but the price is more expensive than the Maytag M800 and the tank capacity is also much smaller at 4 ounces. The Maytag M800 has a 8-ounce capacity.
- Fast heat up – The iron will reach maximum temperature in less than a minute or 55 seconds to be precise, according to the manufacturer. So, even quilters are using this model because it does heat up fast when they need it.
- Good steam – The steaming capability is good enough to get wrinkles out and leave your clothes look nicely pressed.
- Nice weight – The weight of this iron is about 3 lbs which is neither too light nor heavy. Once filled with water, a heavy iron can make your arm feels fatigued. So, the Maytag M800 may be easier to handle compared to a 4-lb iron like the Rowenta Steam Force if you have a weak arm and a heavy ironing load.
- Can’t see water level – The water tank is a bit dark in color. So, it can be hard to check out the water level at a quick glance.
- Not hot enough – Some users find it lacking in heat. If you have got used to really hot irons like the high end Rowenta models, you might feel that Maytag irons are not up to the mark.
This is an easy to use iron that has enjoyed a good reputation among buyers. So far, Maytag irons have had few complaints on leaks and spits. They do happen but the rate of complaint is not high. Their irons are also backed by a 2-year warranty. Hence, there is less risk in taking the plunge and going with their irons.
Any Great Deals For The Maytag M800? Don’t Miss Out:
As you can see from this Maytag M800 review, the detachable water tank is its main selling point. So, if you want this convenience, this model is a worthwhile buy. After all, the price isn’t too expensive. But get their M400 model instead if you don’t care for a removable water tank. This is a better value buy since the rest of the features are about the same and it is cheaper at the time of writing. The Maytag M400 is one of the best steam irons under $50 given its quality and affordability.